Dr. Saman Habib, Chief Scientist and Professor in Molecular Biology Division, CSIR-CDRI, Lucknow, has been elected as fellow of Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi.
Dr Habib has brought laurels to the Institute through her outstanding work for understanding the malaria parasite.
Her research group’s interest in the malaria parasite is driven by the desire to understand (a) the molecular workings and functions of the relict plastid (apicoplast) of Plasmodium, (b) mechanisms of protein translation employed by Plasmodium organelles and (c) human genetic factors and susceptibility to severe P. falciparum malaria in endemic and non-endemic regions of India.
- Dr Habib has the following distinctions to her credit:
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore (2016)
- Fellow of The National Academy of Sciences India, Allahabad (2015)
- National Women Bio-scientist Award, Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India (2012)
- Prof. BK Bachhawat Memorial Lecture Award, National Academy of Sciences, India (2008)
- CSIR Young Scientist Award, CSIR (2001)